|Event:||ICC Champions Trophy 2009/10|
DateLine: 28th September 2009
South Africa skipper Graeme Smith is hoping his side will be able to cross the line in some future ICC event.
"I don't know why. It is not about lack of performance or lack of trying. Everything has been done at the moment. We have the potential. We have to back ourselves and get over the line at some point of time," he said after his side's 22-run loss against England to bow out of Champions Trophy at home.
"There are lots of opportunities (to win ICC tournaments) and hopefully we do it at some stage may be next year. There is no point in making excuses. It is up to the players who are sitting at the dressing room to perform and make it count," he added.
Smith was visibly disappointed that his side had to crash out of the tournament at the group stage in a big tournament.
"It is hugely disappointing to go out of the tournament at this stage. It was about giving your all and try as deep as possible and hope somebody would stay with you. Unfortunately that did not happen," said Smith who scored a brilliant 141 but failed to find support from any of his team-mates.
"We were very close and we lost wickets at crucial moments. Had it been something just more than 300 we could have chased down but above 320 was tough," he said.
The left-handed batsman who hit a maginificent 141 and fought like on lone warrior in a lost battle said his bowlers will have to improve their performances if they want to do well ahead in the season.
"In two out of three games we had to chase down above 300 that puts a lot of pressure on the batsmen. We have to improve in that aspect. England are coming here and there is a big season ahead," he said.
- Australia in India 2019/20
- Australia Tri-Nation Women's T20 Series 2019/20
- Bangladesh in Pakistan 2019/20
- England in South Africa 2019/20
- ICC Women's Championship 2017/18 to 2020
- ICC World Cup League Two 2019 to 2021/22
- India in New Zealand 2019/20
- Ireland in West Indies 2019/20
- New Zealand in Australia 2019/20
- Qatar Women's Quadrangular T20 Tournament 2019/20
- South Africa in India 2019/20
- South Africa Women in New Zealand 2019/20
- Sri Lanka in Zimbabwe 2019/20
View all Current Events CLICK HERE