|Scorecard:||South Africa Women v Sri Lanka Women|
|Player:||C Brits, T Chetty, D van Niekerk|
|Event:||ICC Women's World Cup 2008/09|
DateLine: 14th March 2009
South Africa crushed Sri Lanka by nine wickets to take seventh place in a battle between the two teams without a win in the tournament. Only two Sri Lankan batsmen made it to double-digits as their side folded for 75, a total South Africa sauntered past with more than 21 overs to spare.
After choosing to bat, Sri Lanka were tied down by the South African new-ball bowlers. Opener Chamari Polgampola was bowled in the first over, and only 18 runs came off the next 11. Charlize van der Westhuizen then struck twice in successive overs, before a run-out and a wicket for Alicia Smith left Sri Lanka reeling at 35 for 5. Suwini de Alwis resisted with a 24 but fifteen-year-old legspinner Dane van Niekerk's blows and some more poor running from Sri Lanka meant South Africa had a modest target to chase.
There was an early hiccup for South Africa when opener Yolandi van der Westhuizen was bowled for a duck. However Trisha Chetty and Cri-zelda Brits, South Africa's highest run-getters in the tournament, put on an unbroken 72-run stand to end their side's run of eight games without a win.
South Africa had finished in seventh place in the 2005 World Cup as well, and Sri Lanka had been sixth.
- England Women in Pakistan 2021/22
- Gibraltar in Malta 2021/22
- ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2021/22
- ICC Men's T20 World Cup Sub Regional Africa Qualifier 2021/22
- ICC T20 World Cup Qualifier Europe 2021/22
- ICC Women's T20 World Cup Americas Region Qualifier 2021/22
- ICC World Cup Super League 2020 to 2022
- ICC World Test Championship 2021 to 2023
- Sierra Leone in Nigeria 2021/22
- Valletta Cup 2021/22
View all Current Events CLICK HERE